I love upcycled projects! These cute DIY upcycled monster containers are made using old soda bottles and zippers and they are very easy to make.
These containers can be used to store loose coins, pom-poms, lego pieces and many more bits and bobs lying around the house.
What you’ll need:
- A hot glue gun
- The cut off bottoms of two empty 2ltr. soda bottles
- A 30cm zipper
- Two googly eyes
I needed to make a stack of sweet containers holders for our recent school event. I remembered that I had made this project a few years ago for the same event and they were a very popular sale item for the school.
I think why they were so popular was because:
- They look cute enough for boys and girls depending on the color of the zippers used
- Everyone loves the idea of upcycling – supporting the environment by buying useful objects that are made from converted waste or useless materials
- They are so functional! After eating the sweets, the container can be reused to store all kinds of small objects lying around the home
The materials used to make this project can be easily sourced from any craft shop. I did initially have problems sourcing the googly eyes. Fortunately, I was able to find these cute multicolored eyes (which I admit I’ve never seen before have only ever used the more common black and white googly eyes) at our local craft store called Create and Celebrate situated in Glenwood Spar shopping center in Goodwood.
They are very reasonably priced and they have a wide variety of different sizes in the black and white AND multicolored eyes. I can’t tell you how happy I am that we have such a well-stocked craft store in the neighborhood!
If however, you can’t find any googly eyes – no worries! You can cut out black and white circles for the eyes from normal card stock paper and that will work just as well.
The zippers can be purchased at any fabric store. I luckily had a few 30cm zippers in my sewing stash in bright colors and also bought a few more. I found that the 30cm zippers are the perfect size.
How to make it:
- Cut off the ends of two empty and washed 2ltr. soda bottles. You can use a pair of scissors or a glass cutter.
- Open your zipper and hot glue one half at a time to the edges of the bottle. Remember not to use too much hot glue or the plastic bottle will start to melt.
- Attach your googly eyes with a dab of hot glue and hold it place for a few seconds.
- Done! Fill your container with any small objects or toys lying around your home.
You can also watch this step-by-step video tutorial:
Do you have any fun, quick or upcycling projects to share? Please email your project ideas to email@example.com.